Are you wondering why the PTA is helping to raise some funds for the DI teams travelling to Knoxville? What is DI? Why should you help?
From the Destination Imagination website:
The Destination Imagination program is a fun, hands-on system of learning that fosters students’ creativity, courage and curiosity through open-ended academic Challenges in the fields of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), fine arts and service learning. Our participants learn patience, flexibility, persistence, ethics, respect for others and their ideas, and the collaborative problem solving process.
Here is some information about the two teams from HWES:
There are 2 teams of HWES 5th graders and 4 staff members who will be headed to the Global Finals at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, TN from May 21-27. Over 1,400 of the top-scoring DI teams from 45 U.S. states and 14 countries will gather to showcase their talents. More than 17,000 people will attend the event. These teams have been working hard since last fall to improve their skills, plan their performances and build teamwork.
The 7 Wildcats who make up the Pawsome Prattlers have competed in the Engineering Challenge category called Drop Zone. They won 1st place at their regional competition and 1st place at the Maryland state competition. Their goals have been to…
- Design, build and test a freestanding structure that can withstand impacts from dropped weights.
- Tell a story about a sudden event with dramatic impact.
- Design and create a visible or audible depiction of the story’s sudden event.
- Create and present two Team Choice Elements that show off the team’s interests, skills, areas of strength, and talents.
The 5 Wildcats who make up the Imblobs have competed in the Improvisational Challenge category called Treasure! They won 2nd place at their regional competition and 3rd place at the Maryland state competition. Their goals have been to…
- Research different cultures and famous explorers.
- Create and present an improvisational skit about a quest to return a lost cultural treasure to its owner.
- Integrate two explorers and a prop into the quest.
- Show how characters work together to overcome a setback.
Pictures below: The Imblobs, The Pawsome Prattlers, and the Global Finals